I found a recipe for peanut butter cookie dough on Pinterest. It required soaking the dates for 8 hours. I never plan that far ahead. Here is the altered/quicker version.
- 1 can of Great Northern White Beans – drained and rinsed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp and 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of peanut butter (I added more making it closer to 1/3 cup)
- 1 and 1/4 cups pitted dates (I used SunMaid, from a regular grocery store)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened chocolate chips – I sliced an unsweetened chocolate bar instead.
- 2 tbsp oats (for texture)
- milk of choice as needed (depending on the consistency you want. I used a few tbsp.)
After you measure the dates, slice them and put them in a small pot with 1/2 cup of water. Warm over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the water is mostly soaked into the dates (3-5 minutes). Blend dates and water in food processor until smooth. Add remaining ingredients. Serve cold with your choice of toppings (nuts or chocolate) or as a fruit dip or spread.
You could also freeze it and add chunks to banana “ice-cream” for a mock cookie-dough ice cream.